Social Icons

Friday, May 24, 2013

How The VoiceMaster and CreatiVoices Changed My Life


It’s been two years since I first set a foot here at CreatiVoices Productions.
I was 19 then, a junior creative writing major from UP Diliman. Believe it or not, it was a time when I was still clueless about my future, uncertain about where my passion for writing would lead me. In fact, I was kind of doubting if I’d ever get a chance to use it after graduation. As I was told by some over and over, “walang pera sa pagsusulat.” I believed that. I also knew that, if that was the case, then I’d just probably forget about writing and turn to other things that would be more profitable. I’d always need money for food, after all.
Everything changed when I met the VoiceMaster, the one and only Pocholo Gonzales.
It was a hot April afternoon, some days after I received a Facebook message he sent me, inviting me to write for his company. I did not know anything about him at first (although his name really sounded familiar). But when I came to see him and knew about his background, I was so amused.
“Anong gusto mong gawin?” He asked me.
“Magsulat po,” I replied.
And that was it. Not even thinking about any compensation, I accepted a project. And that was to write for and about his company, CreatiVoices Productions.
So I started writing stuff on the site. From time to time, I also wrote stuff about the VoiceMaster himself. Weeks passed by and I got the hang of it. I also met different people there (like voice artists and dubbers) and even got involved with some of their projects. And of course, I got paid.
June came and I became fonder of working with everyone. It was so enjoyable plus I got to learn a lot of new things. (The VoiceMaster taught me lessons on website and online reputation management among other things.)
 photo cv1_zps9e01d643.jpg
CreatiVoices Productions Team, including me.
Then, one day, he just asked me to try writing a script for a corporate AVP. At first, I was nervous and uncertain. I was not a mass communication major in the first place. Yet, despite my lack of training, he trusted me. He even taught me some basics and gave me links to sources from which I could learn things about AVP scripts.
 photo villar_zps80168e83.jpg
While interviewing Mrs. Henepbuhay, Sen. Cynthia Villar.
It was when I finally realized that my writing skills could bring me somewhere. It was never useless. In fact, it enabled me to finance my own education for my last two years in college. It was also through this that I earned money for my daily expenses, a proof that as long as you follow your heart and do what you love doing, everything else follows–even money.
 photo ona_zps4b5e912f.jpg
While interviewing DOH Secretary Ona for the NKTI PPP Project AVP that was shown in Switzerland.
Now, I have already created so many AVP scripts. In fact, one of the projects I worked on already reached as far as the UN Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. It was also through all these experiences that I was able to meet and work with different people, including some big names in different industries and fields.
 photo college_zps8c52e7ec.jpg
Marching with Pride. Although not a cum laude, I graduated with a bang: Six-page resume and several writing experiences, not so bad for a fresh grad.
And the thing is, I am just 21 and I just graduated from college. Yet, I have already achieved all of these. I’ve had other several writing experiences, too. I’ve already published works (on print and on line) and I believe that it was my experience here at CreatiVoices that gave me the guts to try these things. The VoiceMaster and CreatiVoices inspired me to trust my abilities and try different venues to share my passion for writing.
Now, I still work as a writer here. I also work for an SEO Company, for which I did not a have a hard time applying, thanks to all of my experiences. I’ve a wider network as well, which has been helpful so far.
Honestly, I don’t think I’d be able to do all these things if it weren’t for CreatiVoices Productions and Pocholo “The VoiceMaster” Gonzales who gave his trust to me and believe in my capabilities despite my age. Indeed, it’s been a manifestation that it’s not about the age; instead, it’s about what you can do.
Originally published on mina sees the world.

No comments: